The Introduction to the CTU Code course provides an introduction to the IMO/ILO/UNECE Code of Practice (CTU Code) for packing of cargo transport units. It includes an overview of the Code’s development and objectives. It also includes a brief overview of the new SOLAS Verified Gross Mass (VGM) regulations. Direct links to the electronic version of the CTU Code are also included.
The CTU packing course is for those interested in learning more about the CTU Code and how they can use it in their day-to-day role. The course contains the following sections:
Course scope and objectives
- course objectives and what is included in the course.
Development of the CTU Code
- provides details on key contributors to the CTU Code
- looks at the original packing guidelines and why the new CTU Code was developed.
Legal situation and compliance
- looks at the regulatory framework, the status of the CTU Code and the difference between the previous Guidelines and the new Code
- examines the legal situation with the Code and how it might be enforced.
Overview of the CTU Code structure
- looks at what the CTU Code includes and how it is structured.
- focuses on key chapters to consider when starting to look at the Code.
How to access the CTU Code
- how to access the online version of the CTU Code with worked examples.
- further sections looking at what is included in each of the Chapters, Annexes and informative material.